..... Enjoying life, one bite and plane ride at a time

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Mammoth

While I was away overseas I started seeing articles and lots of instagram pictures from a place called Mammoth, this got me curious. So after a bit of researching and google stalking I found out that the brains behind Touchwood and Barry is the owners of Mammoth. I didn't need much more convincing, it's located in Armadale in a leafy location close to the train station, so it was the perfect Saturday brunch spot for me.

D and I got there around 2pm and waited for about 5 minutes to get a table. We shared a table with another couple but we didn't mind and neither did the other couple. The place has sunshine penetrating through all it's windows and buzzing with people. I loved the upbeat atmosphere with the clean cut french provincial decor.


To begin we got the usual normal latte for D and soy latte for me. Our coffees didn't take long to come and it was a great blend too. Smooth and full bodied, perfect way to kick start our brunch.

D got The Benedict. Unlike the traditional Benedict that typically comes with ham, this came with duck sausage, fried egg, picked onion and hollandaise sauce on a corn blini. I liked the duck sausage change, found it different and very tasty. It was rich in flavour and together with the maple hollandaise it was the perfect cheat meal. The orange and corn blini was different, I like the crumbly texture of it. It didn't feel as heavy as bread but was that good carb component of the dish.

I picked the Coconut Yoghurt Custard. This was a fine layer of coconut yoghurt custard, topped with fresh strawberries, freeze dried strawberries, buckwheat and wattle seed granola and grapeseed oil. This was a light and refreshing option, I was a bit sad to see how small it was, as I love coconut yoghurt and anytime I see if on a brunch menu, I must order it. The fresh and freeze dried strawberry combination was quite interesting, the different textures of a similar flavour. The custard was just the right consistency of creamy without being too sweet. I really enjoyed this dish, just wish there was more of it. I love it so much I could have easily eaten two!

D and I normally don't get dessert for lunch but we say the couple next to us get the Gaytime Panna Cotta and it caught my eye on the menu earlier. This had all the elements of what I would call a fun dessert; honeycomb, popping candy, sable biscuit. It hit all the right notes in my book. It was just a heavenly finish to a great brunch.

Overall 17/20 this is definitely up there in terms of all the brunch places I have visited around Melbourne. The menu is creative with sophistication and the service was great. I loved every part of my meal and is already looking forward to coming back and hopefully trying the whole menu (eventually). Only downside is the price, for the portion sizes they provide you, I would say it's more on the higher end of the brunch scale. Though it's not an 'arm and a leg', I would still come back, maybe not weekly but every once in awhile. Highly recommend you visit if you are in the area or just want a drive to the lovely Armadale.

  Mammoth Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Missy Ness' Train of Thought
Blogger Designs by pipdig