..... Enjoying life, one bite and plane ride at a time

Friday, October 23, 2015

The Pour Kids

It's rare I get a visit from Jar Jar in my city; normally l see her in sunny Brissy or we meet in the middle (aka: Sydney). I hardly get to see her in Melbourne so since she was in town I had to take her out for brunch. Together with KT we set out to Malvern where we paid Pour Kid a visit. l really wanted to take Jar Jar to one of the more iconic Melbourne brunch spots but none of us where keen on the idea of waiting 30+ minutes for a table. Pour Kids is off Glenferrie Rd in Malvern so it served the purpose of the cool, hip, local brunch spot typical of the Melbourne brunch scene. We got a seat immediately, so that was a relief.

Once seated our drink orders were taken. KT and Jar Jar got a soy latte, I opted for a juice (orange, grapefruit and apple). Coffee was smooth but the beans were more on the light side.


For the main affair Jar Jar got the Smash & Grab. This is a classic smashed avocado, poached egg and feta on sour dough toast - Pour Kids added roasted tomatoes to it and finished it with a balsamic reduction. This is a prime example of 'an oldie, but a goodie'. I especially liked how the feta was finely crumbled which ensured the feta didn't overpower the entire dish.


KT went with Stacks On. This was a big pile of chorizo sausage layered on hash brown and guacamole. There was sour cream and roast corn relish on the side. I would say this dish is suited to a hungry person, or someone who really likes meaty and heavy dishes. I had half of it with KT,  and found it really heavy and struggled to finish my half. The taste was rich and was just too heavy for the first meal of the day. I think that my recent commencement of clean eating contributed somewhat as to why I was struggling to finish it.


l went with "We Need To Talk About Kevin (Bacon)". This was a goat curd folded egg with a thick slice of maple glazed bacon and pickled apple on sour dough. This one is definitely for the bacon lover. The maple glazed bacon was sweet and salty as it should be. Again it was very heavy, and split it in half with KT. After all the food, I felt I need to come back on a day where I am famished; I liked what I tasted but I just couldn't finish it.


Overall 15/20 This is a great local cafe with a good range on the menu and great service (and you will definately feel stuffed!) Lucky for me it's close to home, so I can come back to try more of the menu.

The Pour Kids Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Missy Ness' Train of Thought
Blogger Designs by pipdig