..... Enjoying life, one bite and plane ride at a time

Thursday, June 20, 2019

I NEVER feel like working out

I am one of those people you see at an F45 class every morning, does a 14km run, pole dances, goes hiking and practices yoga.
Yes,  I am one of those people you love to hate. I wake up early each morning, get into my active wear and would have burnt off at least 400 calories before I get into work. On top of that, I would do a K-pop dance class and go 1000 steps on the weekends. Then you also discover that I also do pole dancing and some other random crazy sport.

The time I commited to a work out photoshoot
That's correct, I have ticked off almost every box now. For all of you who are hating me now, let me tell you a secret...I NEVER FEEL LIKE WORKING OUT. That's correct, like the rest of you, I would much rather sleep that extra hour or two and the thought of running 10kms bores my mind out. I can also come up with a list of excuses of why I shouldn't be active and I will do it tomorrow, next week, on Monday just NOT TODAY.

But that's just it, I know they are excuses and excuses work. So I motivate myself with reasons on why I SHOULD be active.

To highlight this, here is how my thought process works

Excuses to NOT exercise in the morning:
  • it is currently 5.45am, 
  • the bed is warm, 
  • you are still sleepy
  • it's raining and cold outside
That holiday where I knew there would be heaps of bikini time
Reasons to exercise in the morning:
  • it is winter, you would probably feel like a hearty, warm meal today and want to eat it guilt free
  • summer bodies are made in winter
  • you are old and it will only get harder (harsh but true, don't lie to yourself)
  • you know you are just being lazy
  • your trainer will ask where you were tomorrow
  • you want to eat that Lune croissant with your coffee once in awhile 
  • the membership is already paid for, not going means you are wasting money
  • you promised your friend to drive her, if you bail then she will bail too
  • you want to get stronger (you saw the transformation that David went through)
  • just get it over and done with for the day
  • no need to rush at lunch time or after work to make it to class on time
  • beach holiday is just around the corner and you want to look good in a bikini
  • you know being active is good for you and great for your mind and body

See what I did there? I gave myself more reasons on why I should over why I shouldn't. I understand that it's easier said than done, which is why I have built being active into a routine. The more often I argue with myself, the easier it gets. Afterall, statistics show that if you are consistent over a period of time it becomes a habit. It’s all about building up good habits within myself.

Where I promised my mum I would do her first ever run with her


I also made a commitment to a friend too, so that way it is harder to wriggle out of. This one is an important one. It is always hard to take that first step of change, but if you make a pact with someone else, there is someone going on that journey with you and help make you accountable and committed to that goal. This doesn't have to be the 5.45am wake up call, this can be just that first step of going on that weekend hike or trying out that yoga class for a week.

Having been in management consulting for most of my career has made me very analytical (see above with all the reasoning) but I also have to be able to see the bigger picture. So this is the bigger picture I have painted myself (aka the other reasons on why I should stay fit and healthy)
  • I will be less of burden on my family and other people as I age
  • I don't want health issues
  • I want to be someone my partner still desires physically when I am older
  • I like being able to run after a bus and not feel like dying afterwards
  • If I don't invest the time in myself, how can I convince others to invest in me
You may not agree with my reasonings, but the idea is to set myself a long term goal and benefit from it. So for those days where it is extra hard, I think about those reasons and know deep down why I am dragging myself away from my warm bed.

When I confessed this to my partner the other day, he was shocked. He replied, "I thought you loved all that stuff. Wow, I never realized how much determination you had in you." So it really just boils down to that, I used the determination within me, to break down my excuses and lead me to live a healthier life. You don't need my reasonings, make your own. As cliche as it sounds, if I can do it, so can you.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Missy Ness' Train of Thought
Blogger Designs by pipdig