..... Enjoying life, one bite and plane ride at a time

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Rare Steakhouse

As date night, D took me to Rare on a Monday because he managed to get hold of their 50% off whole menu special from Dimmi. Located on the corner of Flinders Lane and King Street, it is the more adult part of the city.

Rare has a great atmosphere with the low lighting and slight business feel to it. I could imagine a number of business lunches and dates taking place in this venue.

For starters I ordered the Coffin Bay oysters tasting plate. This done 4 ways: Kilpatrick, natural, vinegarette and mornay. The oysters were creamy and the mornay further enhanced that. The Kilpatrick had good worchester sauce and bacon ratio. The vinegarette was a nice compliment to the mornay flavour, it got my palette ready for the next entree.


The other starter was the 500g pork ribs. Ribs are always a favourite of D's but sadly this one didn't make the cut. The ribs were not as saucy as we had hoped (I was expecting something a very big rack meaty ribs, dripping in sauce). The meat was well cooked, it was soft and tender but I found it a slightly dry and underwhelming.


For mains, I got the wagyu porterhouse with chips on the side, for sauce I selected blue cheee. That steak was devine, it was a perfect medium rare and just melted away in my mouth. The basting was nice but I prefer the one at Meat Wine & co, but the cut was so good I would happily overlook it. The chips were the perfect side, crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. The blue cheese sauce was too thick and strong. I like a good blue cheese but this was overpowered the steak too much.


D got scotch fillet, this was also perfectly the medium rare. The meat was tender, his creamy garlic was also a great chip dip.

As sides coleslaw and cauliflower gratin. The cauliflower was creamy with a good amount of cheese. Coleslaw was just disappointing, for a restaurant of this calibre it was lacking. Felt like KFC coleslaw was better tasting.

After all that we had no room for dessert.

Overall 13.5/20 the staff was attentive and the wagyu was unforgettably good. The major let downs were the ribs and sides. Come here to expect good steak and nothing else, if I was to rate purely on the steaks alone it would have scored a 17/20

  Rare Steakhouse King St on Urbanspoon
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Missy Ness' Train of Thought
Blogger Designs by pipdig