..... Enjoying life, one bite and plane ride at a time

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Fukuryu Ramen

Another addition to the choice of ramen bars in Melbourne. Fukuryu is located upstairs in the dingy Corrs Laneway off Chinatown.

When you walk in, the decor is actually very crisp warehouse. Lots of open style seating and you order at the counter. The menu is quite minimal and mainly offers... well ramen.



I got the signature tonkotsu. This came with charsui, black fungus, bamboo shoots and thick tonkotsu broth. There was a generous amount of charsui and noodles. It wasn't a bad ramen but the soup was just a tad too sweet for my liking. Tasted slightly MSG as well (or it could be my mind playing tricks on me).


Between D and I, we also got the tam tam ramen which had a spicy broth and mince meat. I preferred this over the signature as it wasn't as sweet and I like having that extra kick. The noodles were perfectly al dente.

To share, there was chicken karage, nice batter but nothing exceptional. However, if you had a few beers in your hand, you won't be complaining.


Fukuryu had a promotion at the time,  if you post a selfie of you with the ramen, they will give you a free green tea soft serve. This sent all of us into selfie frenzy. I guess, you can never say "no" to free ice cream.

Overall 13.5/20, besides the broth, I did like other aspects of this place. Most of all the staff were friendly and when D dropped his free soft serve, they came up and offered him a replacement. Little things like that, really make a difference in the dining experience. I do hope they come up with a larger menu soon.


Fukuryu Ramen on Urbanspoon
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Missy Ness' Train of Thought
Blogger Designs by pipdig