..... Enjoying life, one bite and plane ride at a time

Monday, September 30, 2013

New Shanghai - Brisbane

Being based in Brisbane for 4 months for work, I was really missing Melbourne food. Overall Brisbane food is sadly nowhere as impressive as Melbourne or Sydney. So I was quite glad when I finally found this beauty.

Located on the lower floor of Queen's Plaza, I was quite intrigued when everytime I walked passed there was a queue there. Feeling the longing for Shanghai Street's XLB (Xiao Long Bao) I thought it was worth giving New Shanghai a go.

Their signature dish here is the pan fried pork bun. I had to say it is worth being called the signature dish. This is the best pan fried pork bun I've ever eaten. I dare say it is even better than some of the actual Din Tai Fung restaurants in Asia. The bun was just the right thic

kness with the perfect crispness on the bottom while still being soft on the top. The pork filling was soupy and not too salty. 

Drunken chicken was also quite nice but nothing special. The level of alcohol was not too overpowering which was nice to see for a change. However the jellyfish that went with it was a tad too hard. It lacked the springy texture and was also a bit rough, nowhere near as smooth as it should be.

The fried beans were a good combination as it provided a bit of greenery. Flavors were a nice compliment to the beans, however they may have been a bit heavy handed with the oil.

Stir fry bean shoots was quite a winner for me, simple yet tasty.

Pan fried pork dumpling. Tasty and but nothing extraordinary.

Overall I give this place 15.5/20, for the price you pay it is worth very cent.

  New Shanghai on Urbanspoon
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Missy Ness' Train of Thought
Blogger Designs by pipdig