..... Enjoying life, one bite and plane ride at a time

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

The Kettle Black

When I discovered that Top Paddock had a sister store I was really excited and ventured my way to South Melbourne on one of the coldest days in the year. I got there around 2pm on a Saturday to find a very busy rush. I was told the wait was over 45 minutes for a table but I was determine to get that brunch into my belly.


After over an hour wait, D, K and I finally sat down. The staff were lovely and very appreciative that we waited in the cold. They got us our coffees promptly and even let us move from the bench to the table so we could take photos more easily. For a busy venue the staff were still friendly and ready to assist.

The coffees were 5 senses blend and was just right in terms of aroma and bitterness. My soy latte was perfect way to start my feast brunch



After waiting for so long we were quite famished and decided on four things to share; two sweet and two savory.

Our first savory was the mixed beans with home made tomato sauce served with bread. I also took up the pork sausage option to get a bit of protein on the plate. The sauce came in a beer bottle that was opened on the table. The tasted of ripe and juicy tomatoes and with just the right amount of seasoning. It went great with the beans on toast. The slightly spice from the sausage was also a delight with an added note to the senses. This was a good dish but in comparison to the others we ordered, this felt slightly average. It's not to say I didn't enjoy it, but if I ordered this alone and say someone else get the hotcakes or tataki trout, I would have food envy.

 The other savory option we picked was the tataki ocean trout with seaweed salad and poached egg. This was the most interesting dish and we all agreed it something we kept going back for more. The trout had a crispy skin and a delicate sweet seasoning. The kale/seaweed salad was a beautiful balance of texture. The egg just completed it, to be the perfect brunch dish.

For the sweets, I had to pick the ricotta hotcake. I love the one at Top Paddock so I just couldn't resist. The hotcake was fluffy and the amount of velvety double made it a heaven match. The berries gave it that sweet yet slight acidic element to break up the sweetness. This is a never fail option to order for brunch in my eyes.

To make myself feel less guilty and because it looked so pretty, we also ordered the coconut yogurt. This had a delightful coconut milkiness to it while maintaining the yogurt tanginess. It is a light breakfast but it's paired with grains, poached prickly pear, rhubarb and berries to keep you full. I really liked this one and would recommend it to people who want an alternative to burcher muesli. However if you are famished, maybe order something else.

There were also platters of brownies, muffins, slices and pies at the counter. My mouth was watering just looking at it, but sadly I was too full.



Overall 17.5/20 I really liked it and despite waiting over an hour it still felt like it was worth the wait. Good coffee and innovation at brunch matched with great flavours that make you want more. It is more on the pricy side but given it's location it's understandable.




The Kettle Black on Urbanspoon
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Missy Ness' Train of Thought
Blogger Designs by pipdig