..... Enjoying life, one bite and plane ride at a time

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Chocolette

I recently learnt that one of my old high school friends that I haven't seen for years has moved into the business of cakes, macaroons, pastries and all things sweet and yummy (that I should be avoiding while I'm dieting). Since I am blogging you can probably guessed that I caved into temptation.

I had a few birthdays in the past few weeks so I ordered 2 cakes from her on separate occasions. The first one featured is the blue cake with a piggy on it, is actually a red velvet cake with cream cheese. Normally when I have a novelty cake I am not big on eating the whole piece as it can get quite heavy. I was please to say it wasn't the case with this one. That pig is so adorable that my partner couldn't bare to eat it.

The second cake featured is 'queen bee' cake. I asked her to get creative this time and I got a white chocolate blackberry cake. This was one of the favourite novelty cakes I've eaten. As novelty cakes require the actual cake to be quite dense to hold up the decorations, a lot of the time they are very dry. I was quite impressed that this cake still was quite moist, and the blackberry layer within it gave it a nice balance of flavour. However the part that is worth mentioning the most is the flower pot next to the cake. The attention to detail is impressive (so impressive that my girlfriend decided to not eat the bees and keep the family of bees as a fridge guardians). Girls, if you are looking for a wedding cake, you should really speak to Colette!


Other than cakes, I learnt that Colette also sells macarons on a regular basis at a number of markets. I was lucky enough to try some of these flavours. My favourite would have to be her vanilla raspberry jelly, even after a day in the fridge there was still a wonderful balance of chewy, softness and bite. The raspberry centre was not overly sweet as you find with a lot of other jam like centres. Other worth mentioning is the blood orange and earl grey tea flavour; a different play on your traditional flavours. There was also a chocolate mint in amongst the mist of macaroons I tried, this is not your typical mint flavour as it tends to side on the stronger mint flavour. Not bad if you like strong mint flavours but personally it was a tad too strong for my liking (but this is coming from someone who isn't a big fan of mint).



If you ever pass Chocolette’s store this is one not to be missed.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Missy Ness' Train of Thought
Blogger Designs by pipdig