..... Enjoying life, one bite and plane ride at a time

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Ying Thai 2

End of the week and all I wanted was just a good, cheap, fast dinner before heading to my friend's birthday drinks. I wanted my Coconut rice and Green curry on a rainy cold night so Ying Thai 2 seem to fit my craving.

For those who haven't been before, it is located on Lygon St and generally quite hard to get a table on weekends, as it was once upon a time, a cheap place for uni students to grab a bite.

I've had their salads before and I know how electrifying spicy they can be. So when I ordered the Som Tum salad with crab I specifically asked that it be mild. When it came out, I must say I was very disappointed. The crab was not a fried soft shell crab, as I thought it would be. It was just a crab steamed and pulled apart. Even though I asked for mild it was still so spicy my mouth went numb. Then when I asked the waitress about it she said it was already mild. I am not stupid and I am pretty sure my dish was not mild.
Then there was the Pad Thai. This was not outstanding or nothing but probably the most enjoyable dish of all the things I ordered for the night.

Finally my Coconut rice and Green Curry came. The rice was a bit too sweet for my liking but still strong with coconut fragrant. Green curry was just bland and felt like something thrown together very casually. Overall, what I looked forward to much was such a let down.

I think over the years, the standard has dropped a fair bit but the prices went up. Service wasn't great either, the table next to me was kicked out after the finished their meal, even though no one was waiting for a table.


Overall 9/20 I won't call it cheap Thai anymore, I think it's just average over-hyped Thai now.

Ying Thai 2 on Urbanspoon
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Missy Ness' Train of Thought
Blogger Designs by pipdig